Readers' Favorite Posts

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Adventures in Wilton Cake Decorating Class (Lesson #1)





There are a few things in life that really excite me.  I'm pretty boring that way.  They are getting things for free with Extra Bucks at CVS, scoring treasures at Goodwill and yard sales, when there are cheesecake samples at Costco, and going to the craft store.  

I'm kind of partial to JoAnn.  I don't have anything against Michael's.  In fact, it is directly across the street from JoAnn on my side of town which makes it pretty convenient when one store doesn't have what I need.  It's just that I prefer to go to JoAnn because I sew.  Sewing is my main craft and Michael's doesn't carry fabric.  

This year for Christmas my mother-in-law decided to get me gift cards to a craft store.  Not realizing that I like one store more than the other, she chose Michael's.  I have to admit that I shop at JoAnn probably 80% of the time, so I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do.  And I was kind of disappointed that I didn't have free money to blow on fabric.  Then my husband reminded me that I have always wanted to take the cake decorating classes.  He convinced me to use the gift cards to pay for the classes and supplies.  That man is not only hot, he's a genius too!!!

Looking hot while thinking his genius thoughts...
Two weekends ago I started my classes.  They are four classes long and throughout them you are taught the Wilton method for decorating cakes.  The first class we really just went over how to make the icing we would be using for the next class.  Then we were taught how to fill the icing bags and pipe stars.  The teacher obviously didn't trust us yet with cakes so we have to practice on cookies.


Stars, stars everywhere. 
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me!
I was lucky enough to score a half price class because the store was running a promotion when I signed up.  Then they give you a materials list of things you have to bring with you to the first class.  The most expensive being the student kit with all of the decorating tips and bags and other items, and the student book.
Student Kit--$35
Book--$5
What I wasn't expecting was that after the first class you are expected to bring a whole slew of new items with you like a cake, various spatulas, a cake leveler, a lazy susan, and a cake carrier.  Plus you'll have to buy all of the ingredients to make the cake and frosting at home.  Boxed cake mix is ok, but you have to make the frosting at home.  To make the frosting you'll need powdered sugar, crisco, water, salt, Wilton flavoring, and merengue powder.  Plus you'll need to invest in some gel food color because liquid food coloring will water down the consistency of the icing.  Also know that you'll have to mix the icing with a hand blender or a stand blender (in my dreams I'll have a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer…in red!).  I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking the class.  I just want you to be prepared for the cost.  I was surprised, especially after being pinched right after the cost of Christmas.  I just with they were upfront when you sign up.

If you do take the class, I want to see all of your pretty creations.  I'll make sure to write about class #2 pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment